Sunday, May 1, 2016

Switzerland

Blogging is definitely not my thing. I have no idea how people can blog everyday. It just seems like a lot of work. Plus I am really bad at remembering to do things, so this whole blogging thing is hard for me. Since I am bad at remembering to update this thing, I have to catch you all up on what has happened since my last blog about Hamburg. I have been regularly attending class (okay....I have missed a few days, but always for good reason), eating lots of food, and exploring whenever possible. My first trip after Hamburg was to Zurich and Lucerne, Switzerland. There are no words to describe how wonderful Switzerland was. The weather was perfect (way warmer than Bremen) and the people were so nice! My theory is that since they are all rich in Switzerland, no one is stressed about money or their job, so there is no need for them to be anything but happy and cheerful. Also, the people we passed walking down the street were always smiling. It was definitely a different atmosphere than Germany! While at the main station, Madison and I had to use the bathroom. As you all know from my previous blog, you have to pay to go to the bathroom in most public places, which is SO STUPID. As we were waiting in line we were talking to each other about how inconvenient it is to have to pay to go to the bathroom when all of a sudden the guy in line in front of us turns around and hands us 4 Swiss Franc (Swiss currency, yes that was inconvenient too to have to exchange our Euros, but whatever)! We were so surprised by this random act of kindness, but that's just Swiss people for you. They're all so rich, that it's nothing, basically pocket change, to give two random American girls money to use the bathroom. Needless to say this guy totally made our day! And our day kept getting better after that :) We had the opportunity to walk around the city of Zurich for 2 days and see the city center area where all of the historic buildings and shops are. It was fantastic! The day after that, 5 of us rented a car and drove to Lucerne, Switzerland so we could be closer to the mountains. And let me tell you it was totally worth it! I have been to Colorado twice in my life time, and the mountains are beautiful there, but they pale in comparison to the Swiss Alps. They are just massive and amazing and I just don't know how else to describe them (pictures to follow). Not only was the view of the mountains better from Lucerne, but the atmosphere there was even better than in Zurich. I think that is because of the view of the Swiss Alps. Almost any way you turn there is some view of the mountains. On our way back to our hotel in Zurich, we stopped at a gas station in a little town between Lucerne and Zurich (I honestly can't remember the name, that's how small it was). At this gas station, one of the people in our group asked the lady working at the gas station if there was anything good to see in the town and she gave us directions to this windy road that went up a hill that led to a hiking path that led us to the best view of the mountains! And the best part it was FREE! We had considered taking a train tour up to the mountain, but this trail we hiked up led to an opening that provided multiple photo opportunities for FREE! And as we all know, FREE is always better :) After 4 days of excitement in Switzerland, we headed back to cold Germany. And the following day I travelled back to good ol' Missouri for a week to attend my brother's wedding. It was really weird to be home at first because I was just starting to get used to Bremen, but you best believe it wasn't weird enough to not make me extremely happy. It was so amazing to be able to spend the week with my family and my boyfriend Matt, who took the whole week of work to spend time with me while I was home (he's definitely a keeper :) ). And what made it even better was that I was able to see my brother get married, which let's be honest, we were all kind of worried would never happen, but I am so happy for him and Jen and I wish them nothing but the best :) At the end of the week I had to get back to Bremen for class on Monday and it actually wasn't as hard to say goodbye as it was the first time. Well for me anyways, of course my mom cried again. I think it was easier because I actually knew what to expect. When I got on that plane the first time I had  1) never been on a plane before, 2) never been out of the country, and 3) never travelled by myself. It was natural for me to be emotional and scared. But leaving the second time I knew where I was going and what would be there when I got back.

This is the view of the Alps in Zurich!
 Some cool old buildings along the river that runs through the middle of town.
 It's so crazy how small the streets are and how close together the buildings are.
 
This is one of the many fountains throughout the city center of Zurich. The water is so clean and clear there so there are smaller fountains also throughout the city that you can drink from! 
 The city all lit up at night.

 You all know I have to have some kind of weird picture in the mix. This is a display window of an Hermes store. For those of you who don't know what Hermes is, it's a stupidly expensive store that is famous for scarves. I am assuming that their thought process with these creepy mannequins was that they don't need faces so as not to distract from the scarves, but instead they created creepy mannequins with arms coming out of the crotches. Weirddddd. You're welcome for sharing.
 Another fountain!

 This was an old church with two towers, one of which you could pay to go up inside of (of course that was a must)
 
 
 
 
 
The next few pictures are of the view of Zurich from the top of the tower

 
 
 
Group picture at the top of the tower!
far right: Izabella (from Bulgaria), Melis (from Turkey), Tuba's Friend (from Turkey, but lives in Switzerland), Tuba (from Turkey), Madison (from Joplin), Me, and Anyl (taking the picture, also from Turkey)

 
This was the really cool old wooden door of the church. Each little square depicts a different bible story.
 
 
Here's the adorable little car we rented to drive to Lucerne! (as you can tell by the caption on the picture, I was very excited about it!)
 


 
 This is the view from Lucerne! As you can tell it was A LOT closer to the mountains than the Zurich, so worth the drive! So beautiful!
 
Me presenting you the mountains
 
 I couldn't contain my excitement! Or my eyebrows!
 
There were a couple old wooden bridges in Lucerne that were built across the river that are original to the city, of course they have been maintained throughout the years
 
 A lovely view of the inside of one of the bridges
 
This was a really cool old stone wall. Only parts of it were still standing, but we were able to go up in the tower, for FREE! It was very exhausting, but FREE!
 
Stairs up the tower
 more stairs. (there were a LOT more stairs, but I figured you don't want to see that)
 we made it to the top!
 
 
 This is what you want to see! The next few pictures are the best view from the top. The view from the other side wasn't so good, too many trees.


 
 
This was the walk way along the top of the wall that connected the various towers along the wall
 
Here is another fountain. This one in Lucerne was a little more ornate than the ones in Zurich. The Swiss really like their fountains!
 
 
There were so many swans (and ducks)! They LOVED to pose for the camera, as pictured below.
 
AWWWW! And here is my favorite thing from Switzerland (besides the random guy giving us money to go to the bathroom). This is the view from the little road the gas station lady told us to take.
 Just hiking to get a better view!
 and hiking..
 
 Still hiking..
 and hiking..
 We made it!
 Madison and I enjoying the view (AKA catching our breath from the long walk up)
 
Group photo in Zurich city center!
 Group photo in Lucerne!

 
 
 And here's me saying "Goodbye my beloved Switzerland" and cherishing all of the memories made during our short visit there. If it's ever possible, I would love to go back someday! It has definitely been my favorite place so far (sorry Germany, Swiss people are nicer. And they have pretty mountains. And warmer weather).
 
Most recently I have planned trips for Berlin and Prague next weekend, to London for 3 days towards the end of May, and to Spain and Portugal the last week of May! I can't wait for these upcoming trips and I can't wait to plan more for June!

No comments:

Post a Comment